Friday, July 25, 2008

Well, I'll definately have a head full of grey hair by 30....

This kid is going to give me a heart attack one of these days!

We were at work/daycare today. I was in the infant room. Owen was, obviously, in the big kid room. Or, more precisely, he was outside with his class on the playground. He comes walking into my room holding his teachers hand, grinning from ear to ear, dirt covering him and half his face is red. Here's the conversation that occured....

Me- "Uh-oh. What happened?"
Teacher- "Well, he was outside playing and he climbed up the climber. I guess he tried to jump to grab the bar but he missed and fell. He landed in a belly flop."
Me- "Uhhh.... is he okay?"
Teacher- "Well, he seems okay. He didn't cry at all and says nothing hurts but I wanted to bring him to you so you could check him over."
Me- "Thanks. Owen- what happened?" (while I'm checking him over)
Owen- "I was just trying to fly to the monkey bars mama."
Me- "You were trying to fly? You're not a bird!"
Owen "But I was trying to be safe!"
(We've been talking to him alot about safety and how he has to be safe)
Me- "Thank you for being safe, but I don't know if jumping off the top of it was such a good idea. Does anything hurt?"
Owen- "No mama. Can I go back and try again?"
Me and Teacher- "NO! No more flying to the monkey bars!"

ARGH! Okay, to give you a visual. This is one of those climbers for kids. It has steps to climb up, a slide and across the top is the bar where the swings go (but there are no swings attached right now so it's just a bar). To give you an idea of how high... I have to jump to grab the bar (which is what he calls the "monkey bars"). The spot he jumped from is about eye level with me (so about 5 ft off the ground). How he walked away from that with no broken bones is beyond me. Apparently he went straight down, didn't even put his arms out to catch himself (which, in reality, may have kept him from breaking any bones). His face is a little scrapped up and he has a little bit of a fat lip (it looks like he went straight down but turned his face since only half is scrapped up). Other than that, no battle wounds and definately not enough to slow him down.

I think we need to do a little more talking on safety. LOL!

No comments: